1800 - 1824
|1818 Eaton Survey of the Village of Springville|
- Christopher Stone becomes the first settler in the Town of Concord after Purchasing 796 acres for $1575.00 from the Holland Land Company. Later in the year another settler, John Albro, joined him.
- Samuel Cochran obtains land and becomes the first permanent settler in the area.
- David Stickney opens the first hotel adjacent to the Village Green.
- Anna Richmond taught the first “common School” in a log barn just north of the village.
- A “state” road is laid out from Buffalo to Olean following (from north to south) approximately Route 391, Sharp Street, Sibley Road, Vaughn Street and Route 39 (east).
- A company of volunteers depart the area for service against the British in the War of 1812.
- David Leroy, “a famous and inveterate fiddler”, settles in the village.
- The first town meeting is help at the home of John Albro. Thomas M Barret is selected supervisor.
- Rufus Eaton constructs the first saw mill on Spring Brook north of Franklin Street.
- The first gristmill is built by Benjamin Gardner on Spring Brook south of Main Street.
- John Russell and Samuel Bradley build a woolen factory on South Buffalo Street.
- Our Village is unofficially named, “Fiddler’s Green” by David Stickney.
- Congregationalists organize the first church in the village.
- Rufus Eaton hires a surveyor to map the village.
- The first liberty pole is raised at the Four Corners, a mile east of Springville. (This site served as an assembly point for 4th of July celebrations for many years there after).
- Springville's first Postmaster Rufus C. Eaton is commissioned.
- Father Hall organizes the Methodist Church and the first meetings are held at the Liberty Corners schoolhouse.
- Samuel Lake builds the first store on Main Street on the northeast corner of Main and Buffalo Streets.
- A village cemetery is established at Franklin Street and West Streets(Central Avenue). The cemetery is eventually moved to Maplewood and today is home to the tennis courts and spray park.
- Rufus C. and Elisha Eaton build a hotel, the Springville House
~ BACK TO TOP OF PAGE ~